Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arthur proud of Proteas record
Mickey Arthur bowed out as coach of South Africa having achieved almost everything he wanted after five successful years at the helm.
The 41-year-old on Wednesday bid an emotional goodbye to Cricket South Africa (CSA), pointing towards "differences" between himself and his employers as the reason for his decision.
CSA to be restructured in Feb
The announcement came just three days before the Proteas leave for a crucial Test and one-day international tour to India, where they will begin their bid to regain the number-one ranking in the five-day game.
High performance centre director Corrie van Zyl has been handed the reins on a caretaker basis, with the announcement of the new full-time boss expected to come in late February.
Following the exit of the Arthur, CSA also confirmed that members of the national selection committee, including Mike Procter, had been relieved of their duties as part of the restructuring process.
The convener will be replaced by the organisation's chief executive officer Gerald Majola, who is a former member of the national selection panel, new interim boss Van Zyl and former captain Kepler Wessels.
Speaking at the official announcement in East London, Arthur insisted he achieved everything he wanted to apart from an International Cricket Council (ICC) affiliated event like the World Cup or Champions Trophy.
Van Zyl takes over as SA coach
"I am disappointed it was the one thing I didn't get," he said. "When I started, I said I wanted to get South Africa to number one in both forms of the game, we achieved that.
"I wanted to be the first South African coach to have won in England since unity, I wanted to be the first South African coach to have gone to Australia and won - I achieved all those goals.
"The only one I didn't achieve was a World Cup or ICC event, so I'm pretty disappointed about that. Other than that I was very lucky and achieved that everything I wanted to."
Explaining his reasoning for the decision, he cited changes within the structures of CSA for his thinking.
He continued: "Differences have arisen between the board of Cricket South Africa and me and I don't believe I can take the team forward under the present circumstances.
"There were differences in the way forward. I had always run a very tight management ship, I had run a tight team.
“I had differences with the SA Board”
"Gerald had always allowed me to pursue my vision, unfortunately my vision of going forward was different to the board of directors of Cricket South Africa and at that point I thought that it was best to depart our own ways.
"Cricket South Africa wanted to make some structural changes and it was different to what my thinking was at that particular time."
Arthur, who has been linked with a move into English county cricket, also ruled out taking any job immediately, saying that he would wait for the right opportunity to arise before making a decision.
"I'm going to work on getting my golf handicap down," he joked and then added: "I'm going to enjoy some real quality time with my family, who've made a huge sacrifice over the last five years.
"I'm pretty sure something will come up, but I'm not going to jump into anything. I'll certainly be waiting for the right time."
South Africa selection panel sacked
Captain Graeme Smith admitted hearing of Arthur's departure when the news initially broke yesterday had left him upset, especially because early reports had pointed towards a breakdown in their own relationship as the main reason for the coach to walk out.
"Yesterday was a tough day for me," he said. "Not only from the media reports, but also Mickey resigning had affected me.
"The two of us have had a great partnership over the last five years, obviously a captain-coach relationship is crucial. I think Mickey was integral to bringing a lot of stability to the team, calmness, and he can be very proud of what he's achieved as coach.
"I really believe, as a captain, I've given Mickey my full support. We've really done everything to bring the best out of the team working together."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.