Cricket Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Australian paceman Glenn McGrath has defended Test skipper Ricky Ponting's integrity as the fallout continues from the controversial Sydney Test.

After the Australian's claimed a dramatic and record-equalling 16th-consecutive Test victory, Indian skipper Anil Kumble lashed out at the home side for not conducting themselves in 'the spirit of the game'.

McGrath denied Ponting's integrity deserved to be questioned after the Australian skipper claimed he had caught Indian gloveman MS Dhoni in close late on day five.

"Definitely not," McGrath said. "If they want to look at his integrity you only have to look at that first innings (when Ponting recalled Rahul Dravid as he was unsure if he had held a tough chance at second-slip)."

"That was a catch that he could have quite easily caught, he was unsure whether he caught it or not and he said that - and that was it, end of story."

The retired paceman, who will return for one final appearance in an upcoming domestic Twenty20 match, said Kumble's assertion about the character of the Australian side was well away from the mark.

"I think the Australians play it hard and we play it fair I feel," he said. "(It's) probably a little disappointing from an Australian point of view because I know the boys play (hard) and I've got total respect for every guy that pulls on the baggy-green cap and walks out there.

"I always got on really well with Anil, he's a great guy, very reserved and I find it quite surprising that he'd come out and say that."

McGrath also criticised Indian team management for making public their displeasure with the standard of umpiring during the second Test.

"At the end of the day they (the umpires) call it the way they see it." McGrath said. "That's the way it's been from the first ball of Test cricket and the way it is now.

"Some days you're going to get bad decisions and other days you're going to get good ones.

"It's the way cricket's always been and you can't pick and choose when you're going to complain about it."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts