Cricket Forum banner

21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was viewing once a sri lanka ODI match and sri lankans are low height players running between wickets the sri lankan batsman took just eight steps to reach the opposite wicket even wearing all the lightweight gear! When i counted the same eight steps jog in the field where i play the pitch seem just 18 to 20 walkable steps. Rather than 22 steps and 24 steps in coaching clubs. The real cricket pitch the 22 yards is something like 28 to 30 walkable steps long!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I like the bowling of umer gul's run-up. Its of finest athletism perhaps trained by waqar younis. Pakistan new generation fast bowlers from 1997 use hopping bowling run-up. When i was bowling in coaching club i had bought cricket bowling shoes full spikes. But after using them for six months, in the beginning it seemed cool grip and quick run-up, but then my ankles, calves became sore and sometimes i used to just slow down from my run-up when i reached the wicket. This weird athletic muscle degeneration is seen in many fast bowlers like lance klusenor, allan donald, azhar mehmud etc. But pakistan bowlers bowl year after year in sun. I think waqar younis fitness level is 20 times more than shoib akhtar. So how to improve run-up fitness? and bowl like umer gul (rated second best after curtly ambrose). I think its not a fitness drawback, but perhaps some psychological jitters created by the opposition making a drawback!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Dailymotion - Pakpassion.net : New Zealand Vs Pakistan ODI - 13th Mar 1993 - a Sports & Extreme video
Here in this exciting cricket fast bowling video of pakistan, one can see the fitness, speed of waqar younis prime days! Pakistan always try to upgrade their fast bowling techniques decade after decade. So in this video there is ata-ur-rehman fast bowling. Ata-ur-rehman has very high fitness and agility but after completing his whippy action, the ball sometimes after release slows down to the wicket and ends up played to the boundary. The follow through of ata-ur-rehman is very similar to shoib akhtar who perhaps wanted to improvise the bowling of ata-ur-rehman where he left! So the funny aspect is their bowling arm over-extention perhaps gained through high level of fitness. So i remember viewing those funny test matches of shoib akhtar Vs australia in 1998 when after a big run-up the bowling arm used to move very slowly!
Another fine thing in this cricket video is wasim akram. I think wasim akram has changed his bowling action several times in his career. In the debut he bowled a skiddy medium pacer, then in the 1992 World Cup he bowled with a long run-up zippy action!, then in this video he bowls like a left-handed imran khanum nice action!, then in sharjah 1995 he bowls with short run-up medium but still there were fine performances in 1998 against sri lanka in tests!
Aren't there any khan names in pakistan cricket line-up?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was watching the famous spat between waqar younis and ajay jadeja jain of 1996 world cup match! I think waqar younis run-up was ok, but due to air resitance the ball used to slow down and was very easy to hit. From the camera view waqar younis looks very fast but bowling is slow only occasional fast yorkers!
Even the venkatesh prasad bowled of ammir sohail is infact a slow ball which baffled the batsman!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
To see if a fast bowler is really genuine or not? The perfect fast bowler whatever the height may be, is one who looks unbelievable from the side. The perfect run-up, then the bowling action and the rotation of the bowling arm. The fast bowler has a kind of intensity while bowling like for example ian bishop of west indies. From the side it would seem like he is jogging to the wicket. But the ball released after completing the action is seen with power hitting the base of the stumps!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I did some research in fast bowling and studied many a bowling action. Regardless of whats written in cricket books, mainly in my view 95% of fast bowlers never jump while at the crease in doing their action. They never even exert themselves as it seems, they just relax and bowl. They may have run-up from a kilometer, but the action is just simple whacky zippy where the momentum is gained only on the upper arms and the legs move like jogging even after the ball is bowled(curtly ambrose). The least known fast bowlers who jumped while action was perhaps only imran khan, whose height might had been just 5feet 5inch. So from a certain camera angle imran khan's bowling looked nice!
So if every fast bowler is not jumping at the crease while action, then who are skid fast bowlers then? The skid fast bowlers are those who just walk through the crease while completing a zippy action. For example allan donald, shuan pollock, glenn mcgrath etc.
It seems childish like watching school cricket the difference that fast bowlers try to make their arms strong! So fast bowling in cricket is not much athletism, its minds' sport and the leap is not vertical, its horizontal(lance klusenor)!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I tried bowling skid bowling while practise and it hinders the quick rotation of bowling arm. I felt like a stupid to bowl so many years quick and then altering to bowl skid like international fast bowlers do. And then finding my pace very slow like school day cricket!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I still remember the bowling action of wasim akram of 1994 playing sharjah tournaments bowling at speed against new zealand and sri lanka teams. Though fast bowlers since ages have continued to follow the rule book of not jumping at the crease, and still deceiving the viewers' eyes of bowling high arm! Present day fast bowlers seem like spinners bowling from crease! So the thing is that fast bowling is not liked nowdays, even though some fast bowlers from various countries do show up, but they too have no interest in fast bowling. Perhaps its because of the crowds the cricket audiences prefer to watch spinners and medium pacers instead. The present day fast bowlers do not zip fast and beat the batsmen as wasim akram used to do in 1994!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
IPL cricket matches seems to be a concept of instant cricket for world wide audiences. No need to wait for months, (not even hours)just combine a few international cricketeers and play just for twenty overs. Then there is big hitting and instant results. Involving attracting bigger audiences.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So i thought that since playing cricket bowling for so many years, it sometimes feel very boring as much of the times the season ball never swings, nor seams and doesn't hit the stumps hard. Then i thought about basic school days cricket, in which one doesn't need to coach oneself in the art of fast swing bowling. The natural bowling action presides over the coached one, for example a right-hand fast swing bowler of school cricket jogs calmly to the crease and never lifts his right leg first, just places the right foot on the crease and extends only the left leg. Then he bowls with his supercharged arm and even gets a better swing seam!(for eg. curtly ambrose, waqar younis, fanie de villiers...all kindergarten cricketeers!) The most funniest bowling actions being the zimbabweans fast bowlers!
So if this concept is true for all majority of fast bowlers then mainly all fast bowlers were in school days charismatic fast bowlers. And even if aged they played themselves enthusiasm like kindergarten! Though some fast bowlers have proved otherwise like glenn mcgrath, jason gillespie, damien fleming...etc who have increased athletic abilities and mainly lift right leg first at the crease and with a complex bowling action still achieve swing-seam.
Another thing about fast bowlers is that some bowlers have exceptional ability of creating intensity in bowling. Through intense training and gym, some bowlers like azhar mehmud, malcolm marshal, venky prasad...etc are very slow bowlers not bowling with speed 140kmph, but only 116kmph. Some of them have only height 5'5" like malcolm marshal, but with a slow release of the ball with their school days action. The ball after hitting the crease gains intensity and can hurt the shin, back and cartwheel the stump. So hitting a six on a short pitch ball bowled by a slow spinner is infact child's play! Like sachin tendulkar at the age of just 14 hitting big sixes on the bowling of leggie abdul kadir!
So bowling the natural school days bowling action with swing seam is extremely fun. Many cricketeers enjoyed in their prime, like imran khan. The season ball never swings on the rougher side, but swings on the shinier side and even a slower looped outswing can deceive the batsman hitting the offstump. But too much swing can result in wides!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As i had said earlier that some fast bowlers who are slow in speed can generate intensity in the ball to hit the stumps cartwheel and even hurt the batsman. So when the professional cricket players spend time playing cricket abroad and come back to coaching clubs they tell their experiences about how the medium pace bowlers used to generate intensity! And the light ball used to hit hard, so perhaps season balls made to play in coaching clubs are made hard and heavy weight. So it gives the same effect to the batsman as if playing strokes abroad.
Nowdays there are very nice computer pc games created where anyone can play cricket with fun and enjoy comedy!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I was viewing on tv a cricket indian celebrity match. In that match the celebrities were non-cricketeers who had low fitness and no cricket playing experience. But still the bowling speed and batting flicks were similar like international cricket match players! So this makes me to think...is cricket fake?
Cricketeers then seem players who doesn't have any practice and play in the match direct! Only those are chosen who seem to entertain the crowd, the selection process, under-16,under-19, first class matches are all fake as they never corresponds to the international cricketeers selected!
Cricket fast bowlers and medium pacers are then just folly players bowling with speed of 45kmph not 125kmph! And the spinners are like bowling in slow motion. The batsman too are very trash players who never practice cricket and play at the crease their own range of shots!
Many many incidences have shown that cricket is at many times played folly, like the 1996 cricket world cup where brian lara was beaten bowled by a medium pace bowling of steve waugh! Then indian batsmen getting bowled in tests by pakistan offspin saqlain mushtaq(speeds just 33kmph). Then the slow motion bowling of j.srinath, v.prasad, a.agarkar, zimbabwean bowlers, sri lankan bowlers! The slow-motion records were of narendra hirwani a leggie who took 18 wickets in a test against west indies! Even shane warne bowling slow motion loops in 1995 ODIs against england. So its a pity that batsmen around the world can't even bat to slow motion bowling! Only some aussie bowlers and england bowlers try to bowl quick with a long run-up with speeds perhaps of 84kmph! While only pakistan spinners and west indies medium pacers bowl with some standards! While new zealand, south africa, kenya, sri lanka, zimbabwe and india are all slow motion bowlers! Like damien martyn, ian harvey, nathan astle, steve waugh...are they really cricketeers!!! Hansie cronje defended the bowling of indian medium pacer d.ganesh in test match and the south african batsmen in hero cup could not defend the slow motion bowling of sachin tendulkar!
So cricket in other words is played like 'gentlemanly golf'. Only some cricketeers who tried to change the game. Like the bodyline tactics of england captain d.jardine!
I think then the batsmen are those who achieve mastery in somehow playing slow motion bowling, but those who play so many runs i don't think they should be given that much credit! Sachin tendulkar and saurav ganguly hitting sixes off the bowling of kenya, sri lanka and zimbabwe!
Like insane players running here and there!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Has cricket something to do with the movie theme 'evil dead'?
Voodoo practices, possessions...Elbow hyperextensions, malcolm marshal bouncer to mike gatting's nose, c.walsh bouncer to m.prabhakar's nose thru helmet, j.srinath's trance day dreaming, steve waugh's nose smashed, michael bevan's split finger...!
Its a big halloween, a big jungle out there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best Fast Bowling

Great bowlers list diggcojj but i would have liked to include few fast bowlers who were best during their career. Collin Croft, Andy Roberts, Wess Hall and Michael Holding were best bowlers during the West Indies Golden era of cricket.

I would also like the mention one name Sydney Barnes the English cricketer who was regarded as one of the greatest fast bowlers in the crickets history. Sydney Barnes had an ability to swing the ball both ways. Sydney Barnes played 27 test for England taking 189 wickets with an average of 16.43 with best bowling figures of 9/103.

21 - 40 of 170 Posts