Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uncertainty looms over the Champions Trophy after David Richardson revealed the tournament could still be moved.

Richardson's admission comes after he headed an ICC delegation which has spent the past two days in discussions with players and officials of Australia and New Zealand, both of whom have expressed concerns at travelling to the troubled Asian nation.

Only two days ago the ICC confirmed the tournament would take place in Pakistan after a fact-finding committee had been convinced of the security measures in place.

The ICC had hoped the findings of that committee would help allay the fears of the Antipodeans, however, it seems they still remain reluctant travellers.

With a separate ICC delegation still to meet players and officials of England and South Africa next week, Richardson admitted relocating the tournament, which begins on September 12, was still a possibility.

"We're very short of time now. If we're going to relocate now it needs to be made within the next few days," ICC's GM of cricket Richardson said after meeting with Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland, the head of the Australian Cricketers' Association Paul Marsh as well as Australia captain and vice captain Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke in Melbourne on Friday.

"Operationally it would be difficult, but it's certainly not an option that would be discarded at this point and it could be relocated."

Cricket Australia are still to confirm the appearance of the three-time world champions, who rescheduled their tour to Pakistan amid security fears in March, and Richardson said a decision was needed soon.

"They [Cricket Australia] need to give us a firm indication," Richardson said.

"All they've done today is listen to the facts. Obviously we've heard that there are still some concerns, particularly from the players' association, mainly to do with the confidence in the actual implementation of the security measures which are in place."

After sitting in the meeting Sutherland agreed a decision needed to be made soon.

Despite that he warned that even if CA do agree to attend the tournament, they may still opt to change their mind "at any stage".

"It's 24 days now till the tournament starts, so it's coming down to crunch time," Sutherland said.

"What we've always said is that we reserve our rights to make a decision at the appropriate time. Even if we decide that we're going we still reserve our rights to change our mind at any stage.

"Taking on board the advice we've received today, but also our ongoing assessments from various other sources, we've got some thinking to do in the next little while. Things will obviously develop in the coming couple of weeks."

Sri Lanka have been placed on standby to host the tournament which is scheduled to run from September 12 to 28.
well it difficult to say what will happen at the movement i would want all teams to play if its possible in pakistan
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top