Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
England batsman Alastair Cook will serve as Andrew Strauss's vice-captain in the four-test series against West Indies which starts next month.

"It is a very unofficial position but it is another chance for me to gain some valuable leadership experience and help Strauss in any way I can," Cook told the England and Wales Cricket Board's official website (England and Wales Cricket Board - ECB) on Saturday.

Strauss was appointed captain earlier this month after the turmoil surrounding the resignation of Kevin Pietersen and the sacking of England coach Peter Moores.

The 24-year-old Cook is hoping his relative youth will bring a fresh perspective to the role of vice-captain.

"He (Strauss) will need support not just from me but from the other senior players as well," said Cook.

"We have a lot of leadership experience in the dressing room with three other guys who have captained England (Pietersen, Andrew Flintoff and former one-day skipper Paul Collingwood).

"They will be there to offer help and ideas and I can give them the viewpoint of someone that is slightly younger and might come at things from a different angle."

The first test in Kingston, Jamaica starts on Feb. 4.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts