Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric Simons joins Indian team
Bowling consultant Eric Simons joined the Indian team on the opening day of the first Test against Bangladesh.
Even as India were grappling with injury of captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, the South African arrived at Shah Amanat International Airport on Sunday morning from Dhaka and joined the Indian teammembers at the Zohur Ahmed Chowdhury Cricket Stadium later.

The BCCI on January 11 appointed the former South Africa coach as the India's bowling consultant for the two Tests against Bangladesh and the subsequent home series against South Africa.

The 47-year-old Simons, who played 23 one-dayers, was South Africa's national coach from 2002-2004. The current India coach Gary Kirsten had played under him in that period.

Simons also worked as a bowling consultant for the Indian Premier League side Royal Challengers Bangalore when the IPL was held in South Africa last year.

Simons was excited about his new assignment.

"I am excited to join the Indian team. They are a talented bunch of players and I am looking forward to work with them," Simons said at the team hotel.

The South African also hoped that his experience will be helpful for MS Dhoni's men when they take on the Proteas in the forthcoming Test series.

"I know the South African players are good. But I hope that I can use my experience while working with them in the Test series (against South Africa next month)," he said.

The two-Test series will commence from February 6 in Nagpur.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts