Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gambhir: We did not play as a team

Delhi skipper Gautam Gambhir had few excuses after his side handed Hyderabad a smooth sail into the semi-finals.

"We should have chased down the 145 target," Gambhir said after his side's loss at the Ferozshah Kotla, which sent them packing from the tournament.

"We restricted them, considering their line up, and should have chased it. The pitch was much better. We should have batted sensibly."

The skipper however didn't take names when it came to the blame game.

"The entire team has to take responsibility. We did not play as a team. We have never chased convincingly in the entire tournament. At one stage, we needed to win two out of five games to advance. But if you lose four out of five matches, you do not deserve to be in the semis."

Asked about the terrible run of innings from lynchpin Virender Sehwag, the captain responded: "It's bad patch. We wanted to him to play his natural game but we lost wickets early in the last matches. Not only Sehwag but the entire top-order did not do well."

Hyderabad skipper Adam Gilchrist was positive. "I thought 145 was a defendable score. At the toss, given the history of the pitch, I thought 150 would be fine. But when Andrew Symonds and Mitchell Marsh were batting, I thought of 160-170. Symmo played a gem but they fell short but I always felt there was a chance.

"We knew that the first six overs of their innings would be crucial. We needed to restrict the number of boundaries and get wickets during that stage and we did both."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts