Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Getting the 100 was a milestone”
David Warner had to bide his time, but it was well worth it, for both him and his team.
But the man who can belie his little size with tremendous power, doesn't let the success carry him away.
Asked if this side (Delhi) was good enough now to make the semi-finals, the Australian, who hammered 107 not out against Kolkata, said: "Let's not go that far."
"It was great to get my first hundred for Delhi and naturally I am very happy. But the most satisfying thing is that we won. We have a good balance in our batting, so much so that batsmen like AB de Villiers and Tillakaratne Dilshan can be left out without really affecting the line-up.
"At the same time, anyone who gets into the XI has to keep fighting to keep his place.
"Getting the 100 was a great milestone for me, and I have had the good luck of doing well for Australia from the time I began and now also for Delhi. I have had the good fortune of interacting with Greg Shipperd, who I think is one of the best batting coaches around."
So is batting the stronger side of Delhi's game? "Our bowling is equally good, with the Indian boys coming up with good displays. We can afford to play as many as eight batters. But it needs someone between numbers one and four to hold the innings together and carry it to a big total."
Asked about the Murali Kartik catch, Warner responded: "I wasn't sure that the catch was clean but being a team player, was on my way out. But the other guys asked me to stay on the ground and the umpires thankfully ruled in my favour. It is not easy to judge such catches. This is the kind of thing that happens in the heat of the moment."
Asked if New Zealander Shane Bond would have changed the equation for Kolkata, the left-hander responded: "I would have liked Bond to play, since the extra pace gets you going."
Kolkata's Australian representative David Hussey spent most of his time promising that his side would change for the better while playing at Eden Gardens. "We had a lot of plans, plans A, B, C and D for David Warner, but he played one of the best innings of his career.
"I thought the target was gettable, especially with the batting beginning with Sourav Ganguly and Chris Gayle and ending with Ajit Agarkar and Wriddhiman Saha. We didn't really execute our plans well."
The bowling went awry, Hussey conceded. "We did not send down enough yorkers towards the end of the Delhi and while batting, we were set back by early wickets.
"But we will definitely bounce back. We will be a completely different side in our home games at Eden Gardens."
X Factor was vital, he thought. "David Warner was Delhi's X Factor today. We need one such. It could be anyone, but he has to take the game on and win three, four, five matches for us."
"I think we can still make it to the semis. If we play consistent cricket, we can go the semis and beyond."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.