·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wicketkeeper could quit to focus on Tests

Gilchrist considers his one-day future

Cricinfo staff

June 1, 2007

Adam Gilchrist still enjoys one-day cricket but concedes he may have to give it up to prolong his Test career © Getty Images

Adam Gilchrist has hinted at his possible retirement from one-day cricket to extend his Test career, although he is not ready for such a move yet. Gilchrist had always believed in playing all forms of the game but the birth of his third child, together with the busier international cricket schedule has forced him to reconsider.

"Up until the last 12 months, I had never been a guy to consider phasing out one form of the game and just focusing on one," Gilchrist told The Sydney Morning Herald. "But I am open to thinking about that now. I have been quite firm on playing both forms in the past, but I guess that things have changed a little.

"When a few of the guys started retiring last year, it made me stop and reflect on where I was at personally. And, while the appetite is still very strong to keep playing, I've just noticed the hunger and the drive for Test cricket that guys like Warney and Justin Langer had when they didn't have one-day cricket to consider."

Gilchrist, 35, indicated he would resist the temptation to bow out of the limited-overs game after one of his most masterful displays - his blistering 149 that led Australia to victory in the World Cup final. "That's not to say that I am announcing right now that I am retiring from one-day cricket, but it's just that I am more open-minded about the issue these days," Gilchrist said.

Australia are expected to play a record-breaking 20 Tests in 2008. Combined with various ODI series, including the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September-October, that could mean unprecedented fitness challenges for an Australia squad that could still feature more than ten players aged over 30.

© Cricinfo
Hes starting to recapture his ODI with his recent World Cup performances. I really think Gilly has another couple of years in him.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hope he stays around a while longer. It's a shame he started late in his career seeing as Ian Healy was still the preferred keeper.
Gilly was pushing for his spot for many years before Healy was given an ultimatum, play the whole series or be dropped, so he retired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't understand why Gilchrist would want to hang up the gloves in ODI because lately he has been incredible and I don't think he has been much better in test. I would of thought he would be more suited to ODI than test. I hope Gilchrist plays ODI for as long as he possibly can because he is someone who you go to a cricket game to watch he is a very exciting batsmen and I love watching him live and on T.V

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think it would be a shame to lose him in the ODI competition as i think that is were he is truely his best. But i could understand him leaving the birth of a child would be more important to him. But imo he should give up Test series and comtinue with the ODI series he is a six hitter we all know that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd say that Haddin's more than than 'handy' with the bat...
He's scored nearly 5000 First Class runs, averaging over 40.
From 82 matches (138 innings) he's knocked-up 7x 100s & 30x 50s.

As far as his keeping's concerned, most people regard him as almost as good - if not just as good - as Gilly.

I love watching Gilly, &, when the time comes I'll be very sad to see him go. He's truly one of the modern game's great entertainers.
However I have little doubt that Brad Haddin will fill the gap with aplomb, & will do his job with a panache that will help ease the pain of Gilly's departure.

Let's face it; Haddin would be a walk-up start in just about any other current international side, & if it wasn't for Gilly, he'd already be Australia's number 1 keeper.

robostar24 said:
If gilly does decide to hang up the gloves Haddin is still a reliable back up and is also very handy with the bat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts