Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gilchrist: Pakistan is a big threat
Former Australian wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist says that Pakistan are one of the major contenders to win the ICC T20 World Cup.
By Kashinath Bhattacharjee
When he had abruptly ended his international cricket career, the ICC T20 World Cup was nowhere in the horizon. If it were so, the most successful wicketkeeper-batsman of the test and one day history, might have given it a go.
And, mathematics suggests, he could easily be one of the best - if not the best - in the shortest version also!
Adam Gilchrist has always been a good speaker. So, when the discussion shifted from Hyderabad's impending match against Kolkata on Thursday to the third T20 world cup, Gilchrist had no hesitation to air his views on the tournament to be played in the West Indies, from April 30.
"Pakistan, definitely is a big threat. Yes, I am aware of the turmoil going on in Pakistan cricket, but the defending champions are a good outfit in this format of cricket. They are one of the contenders", said Gilchrist.
The former captain of Australia, however, was surprised at the exclusion of Ryan Harris from the Australian T20 world cup touring party.
"I feel, he had played really well in all the three formats of the game for Australia. It is tough to comment on any particular individual's selection since I am so far away from the team now. But it felt a bit surprising for me."
But he was hopeful of Australia's chances of winning the T20 world cup for the first time. "They are good, they can win. They have the potential to do so."
And India?
"Obviously they are contenders, too. A big contender, I must say. Their batting is deep down, bowlers are experienced. It's a well-balanced side under MS Dhoni. Moreover, they were the champions in the inaugural edition, too. Definitely they have a good chance in the Caribbeans.
"Actually, the format is such that you cannot pinpoint any winners in a T20 tournament. One performance is enough here to turn the match. It's totally unpredictable."
Sachin Tendulkar has decided against playing in the T20 world cup for India, despite his good form in the Indian T20 League. Gilchrist, however, has no problem with the Indian Little Master's choices.
"It's always wonderful to see him bat, in whatever format he is batting. After so many years of wears and tears, he has his choices now. He knows perfectly well where he wants to focus and I have no problems with his decisions. Like Ricky Ponting of Australia, he is choosing his matches and he has every right to do so. He has earned it.
"You just cannot deny his class and quality. Sachin Tendulkar is huge. Without him, India had won the first T20 World Cup in 2007 and the boys are doing well, too. He wants to focus on other things. That is his personal choice and we should respect it," Gilly signed off.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts