Cricket Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Harmison has hinted that he will retire from the game if he fails to win his England place back.

The 29-year-old Durham bowler has struggled to rediscover his best form in the last two years and appears to have been ditched by the England selectors.

"The prospect of playing for England is what drives me and if I felt my chance of doing that was gone the probability is I'd retire from first-class cricket altogether," Harmison told the Mail on Sunday.

"This isn't an ultimatum or me trying to impose conditions on anyone. But I'm 29 now and if I felt my England career was over I'd be tempted to say I want to do something different with my life.

"I'm absolutely determined to show I have something to offer England.

"I certainly don't believe I'm finished. After a terrible year for me on the field with injuries, operations and so little cricket it is ridiculous, my aim is to bowl fast, take wickets and give the selectors something to think about.

"I've spoken informally to the skipper, Michael Vaughan, and the coach, Peter Moores, and stressed that I still want to play Test cricket and they were pretty positive that both Matthew Hoggard and I remain in their plans."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts