Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hauritz wants bigger things
Off-spinner Nathan Hauritz has set his sights on becoming a bigger weapon for Australia after claiming his maiden five-wicket haul.
He took his maiden five-wicket haul in first-class cricket in the first-Test win over Pakistan at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Under pressure in the lead-up to the season-opener, Hauritz responded with five for 101 in the second innings and a match haul of six for 159.
Hauritz spins Australia to victory
"I am very happy to take that five-wicket haul, I hope it is the start of something good," Hauritz said.
"It has been a pretty tough road. There have been good moments and bad moments and this is one that I will remember. It has taught me a few things about bowling on fourth and fifth days of Test matches (such as) to be more patient."
Having received advice several times from Shane Warne as well as speaking to skipper Ricky Ponting regularly during games, Hauritz knows that the selectors are keeping a close eye on New South Wales prodigy Steven Smith.
Smith has twice been called in as cover for Hauritz ahead of Australia's two most recent Tests in Perth and Melbourne, and the former Queenslander is under no illusions about Smith's long-term future.
"He is obviously an exciting prospect and is a leg-spinner so he obviously has Australia written all over him in the eyes of the public," Hauritz added.
"He will have a great future (but) the most important thing is not to put too much pressure on myself which I have done at times by trying to get wickets to silence a few people and let people know I can bowl.
Ponting delighted with convincing win
"I've earned this spot and I'm here for a long time."
Ponting was also quick to laud Hauritz and is confident that it was just what he needs to stamp himself on the international game.
"It's more pleasing for him, I know that," said Ponting.
"We've all been there backing him and helping him out and trying to do the right thing by him. What players like him need is just that breakout performance.
"Shane (Watson) will stand up and say the same thing - unless you've actually got over the line and done it when it really matters, you always have doubts about yourself and whether you can do it. In Nathan's career, (it) could be one of the really big turning points."
Ponting sent a shudder through the Australia camp when he was struck on the wrist late in the match, but has declared himself a certain starter for the New Year's Test in Sydney.
Still in pain a fortnight after copping a nasty blow to his elbow from West Indies speedster Kemar Roach in Perth, Ponting was fielding at silly point when Pakistan's Saeed Ajmal smashed a cut shot straight into his left wrist.
Aussies name unchanged squad
"That's the last thing I needed, the second-last ball of the game today, was to cop another one on the wrist," Ponting said.
"But I'll be OK, I'll be fine."
The Australia skipper will continue to seek treatment on his injured elbow in the lead-up to the second Test, including spending further time in a hyperbaric chamber.
"It probably flared up more than I was hoping it would halfway through my first innings but I declared myself fit to play and I've just got to put up with it and get on with it from there," he said.
"That's all I could do. I've continued to have treatment through this game and will the next few days give myself every opportunity to recover as well as I can for the next Test."
Australian selectors decided against any radical changes to the side for the Sydney Test, sticking with the same 12-man squad as in Melbourne.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.