Cricket Forum banner

IPL: League should be top priority, says Warne

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bansal.sam8 
#1 ·
Former Australia spinner Shane Warne has advised the International Cricket Council to plan the global cricket calendar around the Indian Premier League.

The Test legend is the coach and captain of the IPL team Rajasthan Royals in Jaipur and believes the revolutionary competition should be given priority over the ICC's Future Tours Programme (FTP).

The 38-year-old ex-Hampshire leg-spinner told the Hindu newspaper on Thursday: "The ICC should plan its FTP around the IPL. It's the most exciting thing to have happened to world cricket and the ICC must make sure that the best players in the world are available.

"What I like about the IPL is that it goes a step further by opening the Champions League. The IPL is here to stay."

Warne, who was bought for US 450,000, is excited at the prospect of working with a team brimming with world-class talent.

"I am going to pick the brains of Graeme Smith, who is captain of South Africa, and Younus Khan who has been captain of Pakistan," Warne added.

"Mohammad Kaif is an exceptional batsman. They all bring experience to the table. I am going to work with Greg Chappell, who I have found to be amazing.

"I'm looking forward to six weeks of exciting cricket with the Jaipur franchise and India, and working with the local and junior cricketers."

The IPL will begin on April 18 with Kolkata taking on Bangalore.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.