Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"It's an embarrassment of riches"
Delhi Daredevils seamer Dirk Nannes tells espnstar.com that this is the best chance his team has had of winning the IPL.
By Rajarshi Gupta
There is something so disarmingly laid back about him that it is difficult to realise that Dirk Nannes is one of the most feared seam bowlers in the shorter formats.
The Australian, who had debuted in T20 cricket for the Netherlands last year, had a telling effect on the Daredevils in South Africa in the second edition of the IPL.
However, a semis spot is just not going to do for him. Two times in as many years is enough: "We have the talent to win the IPL. It's an embarrassment of riches for us, really.
"Wayne Parnell is an outstanding performer and Ashish Nehra has done very well for us. There are some explosive batsmen at the top and right in the middle. Overall, it's a very good side."
However, Nannes is not ready to take things for granted. Twenty20 cricket, he says is risky. Things happen at the blink of an eyelid.
"Had we been going into a Test match with this side, I would say we would have been favourites to win but with T20, it is difficult to predict anything.
"The game is played at a ferocious rate and one over might make all the difference. For us, the focus should be on doing the basics right and clicking as a team."
Nannes was excited at the prospect of bowling alongside Parnell, who shot to fame at the ICC World Twenty20 in 2009 and has since been an integral part of the South African unit.
"Parnell is a good young talent and his addition has added a lot of depth to the side. It is nice to have a talented bunch of cricketers around you."
A self-confessed ‘accidental cricketer', Nannes has had little time for much else. Known for his penchant to ski and play the saxophone, the left-arm quick has put his hobbies on the back-burner.
"I don't play the saxophone much these days nor do I get to ski a lot. Most of my time is taken up by cricket."
Diggler, as he is fondly called by his mates, still gets them to dance though. So what if he doesn't use the saxophone much these days. The white leather is good enough.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.