Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kallis: Good learning curve
Jacques Kallis termed the win over India in the final ODI a good start in their approach to next year's World Cup in the subcontinent.
South Africa outclassed India in the final game of the three-match series, the visitors securing a 90-run victory to finish their tour on a high.
SA power to consolation victory
Loots Bosman (68) and Hashim Amla (87) gave the Proteas a flying start with a 113-run stand for the opening wicket, while Kallis (104 not out) and AB de Villiers (102 not out) provided a blistering finish to South Africa's massive total of 365 for two.
India suffered early setbacks and, although the home side recovered somewhat, the chase was all but over well before they were bowled out for 275 with over five overs remaining.
"The wicket turned out to be much better than we thought, but it was also a better performance from the guys all around," South Africa captain Kallis said.
"We had a good start at the top and that's vital in this form of the game. With wickets in hand at the death, you can cash in and hit some big scores.
"We know we are a lot better than we have played in this series, but this is a start and we are looking forward to the (World Cup) next year.
"It's been a good learning curve for us and I think the guys can take away a lot from this series.
"It was a good experience for the bowlers too, playing on these pitches in the sub-continent.
"I'm sure they will be a lot better cricketers with this and come up with better strategies and target better areas the next time."
De Villiers, whose 102 came off only 59 deliveries, came in for special praise.
"We've been pretty much up and down, but all our batters did well today," Kallis continued.
"AB really pitched in with a very special knock and got us from 300 to 360.
"I think all the guys put their hands up and did the job."
Dhoni: We missed Zaheer, Nehra
India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni believed his inexperienced attack conceded far too many runs.
"It was a difficult score to chase and I think the wicket was on the slower side, but I think our problem was the bowling," he said.
"Change of pace could have proved vital on this wicket but it isn't something which the three fast bowlers we fielded today are good at If we had somebody like Ashish Nehra or Zaheer, things would have been different.
"However, it's a good experience for them because they were up against a strong side.
"With the kind of the start they got it would have been difficult to restrict them to 300, but I think 340 would have been competitive and we could have looked to get it."
Dhoni was pleased with the way his players performed through the season as a whole.
"We were worried about the bowling and in bits and pieces we were doing well, but overall I think the bowling has improved," he said.
"Also the fielding today was terrific and perhaps the best we have been in the last year.
"There have been injuries and we have missed key players through the season so considering everything, I'm really happy with the performance of the side."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts