Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lalit Modi: I am not resigning

IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi on Tuesday refused to quit and said that all reports of his stepping down was mere speculation.

"There is no need for me to step down. I will present all the facts in the governing council meeting on 26th April," he told journalists after arrving in Mumbai from Dubai.

"Mr Pawar and Mr Manohar have already met. We are all united.

"Everything will be sorted out and there is nothing to worry about," he added.

Earlier in the day, former BCCI President Sharad Pawar said a collective decision will be taken on Modi's future in a governing council meeting on 26th April.

Asked whether Modi would have to resign, he said,"If the authority is vested with the Governing Council, neither Sharad Pawar nor Shashank Manohar is interested to interfere in the basic right of all the members."

The BCCI president Shashank Manohar said,"It'll be a collective decision. I don't know anyone else's opinion."

Meanwhile, reports say Sharad Pawar on Tuesday agreed to ask Lalit Modi to step down as IPL Commissioner. BCCI president Shashank Manohar will take over as IPL chief.

Modi is likely to quit after the IPL final as BCCI will set up an internal probe to look into the IPL fiasco.

The BCCI top officials are said to be extremely unhappy with Modi after he triggered the controversy by tweeting the Kochi franchise's stakeholding pattern, which also brought the cricket board under the Income Tax department's scanner.

Modi himself is under fire for allegedly helping his family and friends buy stakes in various IPL teams.

His tweets about Kochi's shareholding created a political storm as it emerged that Minister of State for External Affair Shashi Tharoor's close friend Sunanda Pushkar had a sweat equity worth Rs 70 crore. Tharoor had to resign, while Pushkar also gave up her stake in Kochi franchise.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.