truebluefan· Premium Member
2003 World Cup Surprises
1. The very first match of the cup saw an unexpected result indeed, with the West Indies victorious over the host team, South Africa. What was the final victory margin in that match?
a. 3 runs
b. 5 runs
c. 156 runs
d. 179 runs
2. Which bowler was the unlikely taker of the first 5 wicket haul of the tournament?
a. Vasbert Drakes
b. Maurice Odumbe
c. Austin Codrington
d. Andy Bichel
3. Which batsman unexpectedly hit the highest individual score of the tournament?
a. Craig Wishart
b. Steve Tikolo
c. Paul Collingwood
d. Klaas-Jan van Noortwijk
4. Perhaps the biggest surprise of the cup was to see the largely unheralded Kenyans reach the semi-finals. Which two test playing nations did they defeat along the way?
a. West Indies and Zimbabwe
b. Zimbabwe and Bangladesh
c. West Indies and Bangladesh
d. Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka
5. Jon Davison's astonishing 111 for Canada against the West Indies came from how many deliveries?
6. West Indian Ramnaresh Sarwan shocked us all when he collapsed on the pitch, having been hit in the head by a vicious bouncer in his team's group match against Sri Lanka. Who was the bowler?
a. Dilhara Fernando
b. Pulasthi Gunaratne
c. Chaminda Vaas
d. Nuwan Zoysa
7. England batted first and were soon rattling away at six and a half runs an over against Australia, in their group match at Port Elizabeth. McGrath and Lee had been smashed everywhere. Which bowler came on to turn the tide for the Aussies?
a. Andy Bichel
b. Ian Harvey
c. Brad Hogg
d. Andrew Symonds
8. The South Africans went into their final group match needing a win against Sri Lanka to progress to the super six stage of the tournament. Alas, all did not go as planned. Which batsmen were in the middle when rain called a premature end to play?
a. Mark Boucher & Lance Klusener
b. Herschelle Gibbs & Lance Klusener
c. Mark Boucher & Herschelle Gibbs
d. Lance Klusener & Jacques Kallis
9. Adam Gilchrist of Australia dished up a huge surprise in the first semi final when he was given not out by the umpire but walked off the ground nonetheless. Which Sri Lankan bowler delivered the ball that got him?
a. Pulasthi Gunaratne
b. Aravinda de Silva
c. Muttiah Muralitharan
d. Sanath Jayasuriya
10. The World Cup final, at the Wanderers in Johannesburg, saw the Australians set a phenomenal target for India to chase. What was that target?
a. 10. The World Cup final, at the Wanderers in Johannesburg, saw the Australians set a phenomenal target for India to chase. What was that target?