Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sri Lanka's newly appointed cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara said his immediate focus would be on the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup that begins in June in England.

The wicket-keeper batsman had been a vice-captain since 2006 and was officially named Sri Lanka's new captain Thursday afternoon. Muttiah Muralitharan has been appointed the vice-captain. Their first assignment will be the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Twenty20 in England.

"It is a huge honour and great privilege to be given the captaincy of the Sri Lanka cricket team. I had no hesitation is accepting the responsibility when the chairman of selectors offered me the job. I am very excited by the challenge ahead," Sangakkara said.

Sangakkara takes over from Mahela Jayawardene, his close friend and team-mate. Jayawardene, who had been the captain for a decade, stepped down immediately after the aborted two-Test tour to Pakistan early this month saying his successor needs at least 18 months to prepare the team for the 2011 world cup.

rest of the article

1 - 1 of 1 Posts