Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parnell excited by IPL challenge
Wayne Parnell is relishing the challenge of playing in the Indian Premier League.
Parnell was on Tuesday snapped up by the Delhi Daredevils for the third edition of the lucrative competition.
Pollard, Bond draw highest bid
The South African paceman was bought for US dollars 610,000 - USD 510,000 more than the reserve price set at the start of the auction - with the Daredevils edging out Deccan Chargers for his services, while his fellow countrymen Yusuf Abdulla and Justin Kemp were also purchased.
Left-armer Abdullah went to the Kings XI Punjab at his base price of USD 50,000 and Kemp was taken on board by Chennai Super Kings for USD 100,000.
But Parnell was undoubtedly one of the star attractions - his eventual price was only bettered by three others, Kieron Pollard (USD +750,000), Shane Bond (USD +750,000) and Kemar Roach (USD +720,000).
The 20-year-old, who made his Test debut against England less than a week ago and has since been named in the Proteas squad to tour India next month, was predictably pleased with what he described as "the most memorable week" of his young career.
"I have never been to India before, although I played in successive ICC Under-19 World Cups in Sri Lanka and Malaysia in 2006 and 2008," said Parnell.
"Going to India for the first time will be a huge challenge and experience and it will be very helpful that I will be touring India with the Proteas before the IPL starts.
"This has undoubtedly been the most memorable week of my cricket career, making my Test match debut for the Proteas and now getting the chance to play in the IPL with and against some of the game's greatest players."
Parnell, who was the leading wicket-taker at the Champions Trophy earlier this year, was also pleased to be going to a franchise with a strong South African influence.
He added: "I didn't have a particular franchise in mind, I simply wanted to get the opportunity.
"But it will be very helpful to play alongside AB de Villers at Delhi, who also have our fitness trainer, Rob Walter, on their staff.
"They have some great Indian players on their staff, such as Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, and I am sure I will learn a lot about conditions in India."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.