Cricket Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australia skipper Ricky Ponting doesn't foresee any potential clashes with Cricket Australia (CA) as a result of his contract with the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Ponting, and many of his national team-mates, most notably the recently retired Adam Gilchrist, have signed on to be part of the lucrative competition.

Although Ponting, who admits he isn't completely up to speed with the details of his IPL contract, is optimistic about averting of potential problems that he and other Aussies may face in their foray in India, Gilchrist is already experiencing some heartburn due to contractual disagreements between CA and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

The BCCI says that sponsorship arrangements are proving to be a major sticking point for CA which has raised concerns about the issue and has subsequently put the involvement of its players in the IPL at risk.

Exacerbating the issue is the BCCI's complete dismissal of the CA's request for 'global protection' of its sponsors.

Gilchrist's involvement in the IPL is under serious threat now if the BCCI and CA can't reach some sort of compromise on the issue before Friday.

"I haven't spoken to Gilly about that. The only (problem) I can think of would be if there is any sort of conflicting sponsorships that Cricket Australia might be worried about," Ponting said on Thursday.

"I really can't see any other reason why. It's a domestic competition - as county cricket is - and there's never been any worry about Cricket Australia releasing guys to go and play county cricket.

"As far as I'm concerned it fits in exactly the same as that."

"That's the reason Cricket Australia backed it all in the first place because it was a domestic tournament and it wouldn't be taking Australian players away from the domestic competitions or the Australian team.

"We've all known from the start that Australian cricket takes preference over any other form of cricket so Gilly will probably be the only one in Australia eligible to play anyway."

However, in a stern warning, Ponting made the CA wary that the relationship it enjoys with its players could cool if it didn't back down from its sponsorship concerns with the BCCI.

"If they tried to do that I'm sure the Players' Association would have something to say about it. It would be a little bit unfair if that was the case," he said.

Despite the potential collision course that the Aussie cricketers appear to be on with their governing body, Ponting conceded that the IPL hasn't been at the forefront of his mind considering that he won't be involved from the beginning.

"I haven't seen mine. It's probably sitting in my email account at home," he smiled when asked the details of his contract.

"I've been a little bit scared the last couple of weeks to go in there and see what's in there.

"I'm sure Gilly has (had a look). It's probably on his mind a lot more than the rest of us at the moment."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts