Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australia captain Ricky Ponting applauded the way his depleted team held their nerve during their three-run victory over India.
A maiden century from Shaun Marsh (112) and a knock of 93 from Shane Watson gave the visitors a flying start as Australia, choosing to bat first, piled up 350 for four.
Sachin Tendulkar replied with a magnificent 175, his 45th ODI century, while Suresh Raina made an impressive 59 but India's chase fell just short.
Five Australian players have returned home from India so far, their tour cut short by injury, but Ponting was pleased with the way the replacements have responded.
"It's remarkable considering the number of players we have had injured on this tour and we had a couple of our better players who didn't make the tour," Ponting said.
"When you take all those things into consideration, the way we are continuing to improve our cricket is fantastic.
"It is a great win for the boys and I am really happy to see some of the young guys doing well.
"It's really good sign for the team."
Ponting was also full of admiration for Tendulkar's innings as India pushed his side all the way.
"Sachin played beautifully. It was one of the best knocks I've ever seen," he said.
"We just had to keep hanging in there and I kept telling the bowlers to stick to their plans and to execute them well.
"It just takes one false shot and you are back in the game, but Sachin didn't play too many false ones tonight.
"I thought we batted well too and Shaun Marsh and Watson were terrific for us today at the top of the order."
India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni blamed defeat on a lack of mental toughness.
"We were never in a position to contain them, so the only thing to do was to chase whatever target they set," Dhoni said.
"We got off to a decent start, but we lost three wickets all at once and then Sachin and Raina brought us back into the game.
"We lost this game not because of a lack of talent, but in the mind. We were not strong enough mentally.
"It hurts when you lose games in this fashion, but it's a learning process."
Dhoni also believed the bowling had lacked sting.
"This was a superb batting wicket and as a bowler you have to be smart, vary your pace and length.
"I thought Harbhajan bowled brilliantly, but the others were found lacking."
Man of the match Tendulkar could not hide his unhappiness over the defeat.
"It was one of my best innings, I was striking the ball very well and we were chasing 351 so there was constant pressure," he said.
"We maintained the run rate and brought the game close, but in the end it was very disappointing."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts