Cricket Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sri Lanka wicketkeeper-batsman Kumar Sangakkara has defended the standard of international umpiring following a turbulent period for the game's officials.

Cricket has been dogged in recent months by rising tensions over erroneous decisions, highlighted by the ICC's decision last month to replace experienced umpire Steve Bucknor for Australia's third Test against India after the controversial Test in Sydney.

Sangakkara himself was dismissed in dubious fashion against Australia in Hobart last November, but speaking after Sri Lanka's washed out CB Series match with India in Brisbane, he said that players should help the umpires rather than criticise.

"There were lots of things said about umpiring decisions after the Hobart Test and much more during the last month," Sangakkara said.

"We as players need to realise that it goes both ways. Players make mistakes at times and we don't really help the umpires when a decision is expected.

"These guys are the best umpires in the world and if they do make mistakes, you get on with the game.

"If there's greater confidence between players and officials, we can have less misunderstandings as possible. The teams playing in this tournament should be mindful whichever way decisions go, we should be gracious enough to accept that."

Sangakarra's comments came following the abandoned match against India when he appealed for a caught behind decision against young India batsman Rohit Sharma, which was upheld by umpire Rudi Koerzten - a decision TV replays subsequently proved to be wrong.

Sharma stayed at the crease for some time before walking back to the dressing room and was later fined 10% of his match fee after he was found guilty by ICC match referee Martin Crowe of "showing dissent at an umpire's decision".

Sangakkara acknowledged the parallels with that decision and his dismissal on the final day of the Hobart Test last year.

With Sangakkara aiming to save the Test match against Australia, he was left unimpressed after Koertzen judged he had edged a short-pitch delivery from Stuart Clark to Ricky Ponting at slip, with replays later showing the ball hit his helmet.

"When that happened in Hobart I was very disappointed, but it wasn't hard for me to shake my head and walk off," he said.

"There must have been many times where there were close leg before shouts that were not given when I was batting and I didn't complain then and I shouldn't have complained when I was given out."

Meanwhile, speaking on the rained off game at the Gabba on Tuesday, Sangakkara said: "We are very disappointed and it would have been a good chase and 260 was a gettable total on a track like that.

"We were very confident. When you take the 20-over Power Play and the faster outfield into account, it was an opportunity missed."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts