Cricket Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former South Africa coach Ray Jennings has questioned Proteas captain Graeme Smith's credentials to lead the team.

Smith has led the Proteas since 2003 when at 22 years of age he was named his country's youngest ever captain.

Under his leadership the Proteas have twice risen to be the number one one-day international side in the world - an honour they will regain with victory in their third ODI against Bangladesh in Dhaka on Friday.

Smith recorded a new world Test opening partnership with Neil McKenzie against Bangladesh earlier this month.

And while Jennings conceded the 27-year-old opener was a valuable part of the Proteas team as a batsman, he told the Wisden Cricketer magazine that he did not think Smith was the best man to lead the side.

"Graeme Smith is a superb cricketer. He has presence and mental toughness," said Jennings, who coached the Proteas on a temporary basis for six months at the end of 2004.

"From a captaincy point of view I believe there are one or two other guys who are able to lead the team better than he does.

Despite his outspoken view Jennings did not offer any names to replace Smith as captain.

"Names aren't really important to me," Jennings added.

"I believe there are better guys to do the job but that's my opinion. As a batsman there's no doubt I'll have Graeme in my side. He's a solid cricketer and a fighter."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts