Cricket Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about cricket, and I was sitting in a local cricket club ground. And I thought if the cricket pitch were just nine jog steps between wicket to wicket which I think would be 15 meter / 16 yards. Whereas the real pitch according to cricket rules must be 20 meters / 22 yards. So I think in the spirit of cricket playing what if the cricket ground is infact just 120 meters in diameter. And the pitch is in between, so the offside and longside boundary is just 69 meters. And the fine leg and long off boundary is infact shortened to less than just 55 meters which is is very less distance. As seen in the umpire camera eye-view in the IPL series in tv the ground looks very small and even the pitch. Running between wickets is also short. So its funny that fast bowlers, medium fast bowlers run from a distance during their run-up to bowl just to a 15 meter pitch. Then I think that the international cricketeers over the years follow some gentlemanly cricket rules. That is run-up should not be aggressive, but like a small steps jog some bowlers try athletism but still should be slow atleast for the reputation of the cricket game it should never look erratic. Then the bowling stride jump towards the wicket should be very slow, but the fast bowlers/medium fast bowlers over the years have the liberty to bowl a quick bowling action, fast arm rotation. So from the viewer point of view the bowler seems very slow but the bowl bowled comes with a quick pace. Then the fast bowlers/medium pacers also have this ability that they could after pitching the ball could produce an awkward bounce, that makes them the well known fast bowler rank distinguishing themselves from others. And as the batsmen sees them as medium pacers gentlemanly bowlers doing square cut and pulling the ball to square leg. As the boundary is just 69 meters so the fours struck go very fast whereas six hit too reach easily to the fence. So the fielders then have very little time as soon as the ball is struck it reaches the boundary way too quick and have very less time to respond. When the fielders see the ball struck and start to move the ball reaches the fence. So its like a childrens game. The wicket-keeper and the slip fielders too are infact standing very near to the wicket just 10 meter. Also about the run-up it reminds me of the Australian fast medium pace bowlers who used to start run-up from behind the logo 25 meter run-up small steps to the wicket. I also think that fast bowlers/medium pacers have the liberty of bowling throw bowling through the wrists so they might be getting that awkward bounce all the time. Most bowlers run-up is just 13 meter short. Fast bowlers /medium pacers over the years like craig mcdermott, glenn mcgrath, wasim akram, curtly ambrose…..bowl with these standard rules of gentlemanly cricket. So it makes cricket fascinating sport. Also the ball used I still feel is of lesser weight like as made from some plastic material. So as every delivery is of awkward bounce and the batsmen just nudges it to a big hit for a six falling in a multiple bounce at the boundary. So cricket might be regarded as a fake made sport. But if it were played in the spirit of cricket then it looks very good like I imagine sachin tendulkar playing against England bowlers. The England bowlers too run very slow, slow stride but a quick arm action like some non-athletic uncle playing cricket. Then sachin tendulkar hits, guides, jabs the ball to the short boundary corners and sometimes even hits big sixes. The spinners are like watching bowlers in slow motion and ball is easily seen make out to hit by sachin tendulkar. The stumps too I feel like they are of children’s club cricket somewhat smaller in size and thin so as they reach sachin tendulkar’s thighs. So the funny things in cricket is that the shorter the boundaries still batsmen hit high in the air miscued shot to get caught. Then slower the bowlers but still the last six batsmen over the years play very very funny and get out. In some matches, fast bowlers I have seen bowl that chuck like awkward bounce, bowlers like curtly ambrose, wasim akram, Malcolm marshall…that it hits quick to the upper corner edge of the bat or nudging the gloves flies towards the slip fielders caught. The height of the cricketeers is also like school children playing, so i think wasim akram, courtney walsh are of normal height only. So this shortened fake version of cricket with lighter ball has made cricket fast. What if the cricket were played with the original season ball on a 20 meter pitch/22 yard on a ground of say 150 meter diameter like perhaps played in Donald bradman days. Then most fast bowlers/medium pacers were throw chuckers bowlers from the elbow, run making would have been difficult and spinners bowling on such a long pitch would had been negligible. I don’t know then how come Donald bradman scored so many runs!?? Or was cricket played in those days were same, small ball, small boundary smaller wicket?
Through the umpire cam in IPL its easily seen that cricket is played so childish...some bowlers average speed could be just 80 kmph....
Then i could had hit easily centuries against bangladesh, sri lanka, zimbabwe....
And also i still can't believe how could anil kumble could have taken 10 wickets haul against pakistan in test...i mean if he weren't a spinner? Or it was a shorter pitch like playing arcade video game....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whereas with a real season ball i think very few strokes are possible.
Straight drive, cover drive, square drive seems late stroke, late cut, square cut is impossible, while leg side shots doesn't exists, no hooks, no long on drive, no leg glance.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts