Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strauss expects Swann to continue

England captain Andrew Strauss has insisted Graeme Swann's arrest on suspicion of drink-driving will not cost the Nottinghamshire off-spinner his place in the national team.

Swann, England's premier slow bowler, was stopped as he returned to his home in the West Bridgford area of Nottingham on Friday morning.

The 31-year-old had reportedly been out celebrating his birthday, which was the previous week, before he was stopped.

Swann, who is currently ranked the third-best Test bowler in the world, had recently returned from England's successful tour of Bangladesh.

Strauss was rested for that trip after a hectic first full year as skipper, but will lead England again this summer following the ICC World Twenty20 - a format he does not play in at international level.

Swann is a key member of the 15-man Twenty20 squad due to leave for the West Indies later this month, and in the longer forms of the game, and Strauss expects it to stay that way despite the recent arrest.

That should see Swann take part in the World Twenty20 campaign, which begins against the hosts on May 3, and England's first Test of the summer from May 27 versus Bangladesh.

"I don't think this affects his selection, or not, for the first Test match or the Twenty20," he said.

"I haven't spoken to Swanny about it. It's obviously not an ideal situation. Probably, if he had his time again, he wouldn't have got himself into that situation.

"I don't know what the circumstances are surrounding it at this point, but clearly it's not something we want our players to be attached to.

"I think it depends on what the off-field misdemeanour is, but, you know, a one-off incident, everyone is capable of making a mistake," he added.

"It's not something we condone as an England management."

Strauss' reign as England captain has thus far been free of the kind of off-the-field distraction a conviction for Swann would represent.

Michael Vaughan was in charge when the national team was last blighted by such a drink-fuelled incident.

That came at the 2007 World Cup when Andrew Flintoff was stripped of the vice-captaincy after drunkenly capsizing a pedalo in St Lucia following England's defeat to New Zealand.

Strauss was part of that squad and, now as skipper, is aware of the disciplinary procedures the England and Wales Cricket Board has in place.

"We have structures in place for off-field incidents," he said.

"Again, I don't know the circumstances of this, but he was off duty.

"He wouldn't need to be playing cricket in the near future so in terms of him being prepared for cricket there were no issues.

"Clearly there's more to it as a role model and all that sort of stuff, but at this stage we haven't got any plans to discipline him over that.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.