Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swann wants to put Tigers in a spin
England's Graeme Swann would love to be part of a team full of spinners but is happy to continue shouldering all of the burden.
Whereas his predecessor as England's first-choice slow bowler, Monty Panesar, often appeared to struggle with expectations on sub-continent wickets, Swann is enjoying his first tour of Bangladesh.
In his first warm-up match against a BCB XI last week he took full advantage of conditions to claim four for 44 and followed up with an analysis of three for 32 in the first one-day international yesterday.
England won that match by six-wickets after omitting second spinner James Tredwell, while Bangladesh utilised four in their six-man attack.
The Tigers' approach to spin is one which excites Swann, though he admits he is unsure whether he will still be playing a lone hand for the tourists in tomorrow's second ODI in Mirpur.
"I'm not sure how we'll view it, I'm still not privy to the thoughts of the higher echelons of our hierarchy," said Swann.
"In my view, I'd play four or five spinners like Bangladesh do. It's brilliant the way they play their cricket here.
"But we played very well in the first match and the team we went in with worked very well.
"Having won I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any changes but if another spinner is brought in, I don't think that would be a great shock either."
Meanwhile, Swann was highly impressed with the performance of the home side in the series opener.
Despite Tamim Iqbal's startling 125 for Bangladesh, England eventually won with four overs remaining and four unused batsmen in the pavilion.
But in doing so they leant heavily on the guile and experience of Paul Collingwood, who shepherded the side home with a nerveless 75no.
"They're an ever improving side," Swann said.
"Four or five years ago every team who played them expected to walk all over them but I don't think that is the case any more.
"They've got some real talent in their side.
"It's hard for me to judge (how far the team have come) because it's my first time playing over here but I've been very impressed with the standard."
And if Swann did inadvertently touch upon some of the Tigers' perceived weaknesses, he conceded they were ones his own side could identify with.
"It's certainly not for an Englishman to sit here and say they threw wickets away or got bowled out too cheaply because that's what we do most of the time," he added.
"It would be very harsh for an Englishman to turn round and criticise anyone else's one-day cricket."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts