Cricket Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waqar sure of completing contract

Pakistan coach Waqar Younis today said he is confident of completing his two-year contract with the Pakistan cricket Board.

The former Pakistan captain told a press conference here today that two years was a pretty long time and would give him ample time to apply his plans and settle in with the national team.

"I have a long contract that I wish to complete properly and one thing is obvious if the team performs well then everything is alright with the board as well," the former fast bowler said.

Pakistan has sacked its last two coaches, Geoff Lawson and Intikhab Alam after they failed to produce good results with the team in the last three years.

Waqar is presently supervising a training camp in Lahore ahead of the T20 World Cup and reports that Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat, Fawad Alam and captain Shahid Afridi had developed fitness issues due to the hard training in the camp has led to critics questioning his method of coaching.

But Waqar said the injuries were not serious and the players would be okay.

"Hard training is required in our conditions ahead of a World Cup. I am sure the boys will benefit from this training because they have played most of their cricket overseas in the last two years," Waqar said.

He also made it clear that he had developed a good working relationship with Afridi and the response of the boys was also far better then when he went to Australia as bowling and fielding coach.

"The main thing is that the players are responding and realize how important it is for us to do well in the T20 World Cup to restore the confidence of our people after the tour of Australia," he said.

Waqar also said there was plenty of talent in the Pakistan team and they were some good young players coming up.

"But the point is this talent needs to be harnessed.

Hamad Azam is a good player but he needs to work on his bowling but his temperament is good," he said.

Waqar said that Pakistan had the team to defend its title successfully in the coming World Cup but the fact was that there were no starting favorites in the T20 format.

"It is a difficult and unpredictable form of the game and one over can change everything you don't have much chances to comeback. So while we have a good outfit for T20 cricket but I don't want to make any favorites now," he said.

Pakistan won the T20 World Cup last year in England beating Sri Lanka in the final while in the inaugural T20 World Cup in South Africa in 2007 they lost to arch-rivals, India in the final.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.