Cricket Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Twenty20 has become very popular, and also brings in a lot of money. Players also have the chance to earn much more by playing in tournaments like the IPL than they would by playing Test Cricket. This has lead to fears that Twenty20 could persuade players to retire from International Cricket earlier so they can focus on the IPL, and that with attendances and popularity dropping, Test Cricket could be devalued. What can be done to help Test Cricket?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not really sure anything can be done it's an excitment thing. twenty20 is fast paced with a lot of quick runs and wickets and thats what fans want to see.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few suggestions. One is to bring in day/night test matches. This change is neccessary IMO, as it would bring in millions of extra TV viewers and could persuade people to go and watch the test after work. Obviously the tradition of test cricket has to be respected, therefore you can't change it completely (which is why I'm against 4 day test matches), but the odd change like this could have a big effect.

Another thing that I think needs changing is the amount of matches. To many games at the moment are mismatches. I liked an idea Michael Holding suggested during this year's Ashes series. It involves splitting the teams into two divisions of 5 (the top 5 and bottom 5 ranked teams).

Division 1:
Australia
South Africa
England
Sri Lanka
India

Division 2:
Pakistan
New Zealand
West Indies
Bangladesh
One other team to be given test status (maybe Ireland, Netherlands)

Over a period of 3/4 years the teams in division one would play each other home and away. The teams in division two would also play each other home and away. Then, to cut down on the mismatches the division one teams would only play the division two teams in only ONE series every 3/4 years, in the division two teams country. At the end of this 3/4 year period there could be a promotion/relegation match.

I'm not really sure anything can be done it's an excitment thing. twenty20 is fast paced with a lot of quick runs and wickets and thats what fans want to see.
If this was the case Tommy Test cricket would have died out when 50 over one day cricket came in during the 70's and 80's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts